STEP INTO NEON ERA WITH ME || THE FIXER BY JENNY HOLIDAY

Tuesday, September 13, 2016





Title
The Fixer
Author:
Jenny Holiday
Genre:
New Adult
Publication Date:
September 13, 2016
Format:
E-Book
Pages:
282 Pages







Synopsis:




Jenny Fields is a crusader. The editor of her college newspaper, she never met a cause she couldn’t get behind. So when the administration announces it’s tearing down the historic art building, she’s on the case All she needs to do is get Matthew Townsend, the art department’s boy wonder, on board. They say he his talent is unbounded. It turns out so is his ego.


Matthew Townsend cares about art. And that’s pretty much it. If he has a reputation for being moody and aloof, that suits him just fine. He doesn’t have a family worth speaking of, and as a scholarship student, he can’t afford to goof off like the preppy rich kids at his school. He certainly doesn’t care about the art building. Or about the relentlessly perky Jenny, who looks like she was barfed up by Rainbow Brite. What will it take to the preternaturally cheerful girl with the massive savior complex to leave him alone?


Available at: Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Kobo | iBooks

* * * *

The Why: 

Like an 80's classic, it was sweet, sexy and short.

Characters:


Jenny is her college's editor and all year she's been trying to save the old art building on campus. She put all her passion into this, because of her family problems with her dad. But needs the help of Matthew the resident well-known artist. She's so persistence for his help and she just wants to save the building. I love even though she had troubles at home, she didn't bring it out on the ones she cared about and put her energy into saving the art building. I loved the slow burn of the relationship her and Matthew.


* * * * *





Speaking of Matthew, he was moody, a loner and definitely didn't care about saving the art building. He definitely didn't think Jenny's love for saving the art building was going to rub off on him and everywhere he put his pencil to paper. Matthew had tunnel vision when it came to his art and, because of that, it caused him to start to feel and portray that in his work. His mentor knew the potential he had in him as did Jenny who was all for him filling his potential. Matthew did something that made me face palm, but I'm glad he knew he did wrong and did everything in his power to fix it.

* * * * *


Here's a little excerpt:

“So what can I do for you, Rainbow Brite?”
“Jenny. My name is Jenny.”
I nodded, folded my second slice of pizza in half, and shoved it in my mouth.
“I’m trying to save this building,” she said, looking around the run-down studio. When I didn’t say anything, just kept eating, she added, “You’ve probably seen the editorials in the paper?”
“Nope.”
“Or maybe you heard about the sit-in we staged?”
I shook my head.
She opened her mouth, then shut it again, as if she’d thought better about what she’d been planning to say. Her forehead furrowed so deeply above her light brown eyes that she almost looked like a cartoon. Befuddlement was actually kind of cute on her. I would have laughed if my mouth hadn’t been full.
“Well, anyway, I’m trying to get the administration to reverse its decision to tear down this building.”
I had heard about that. It wasn’t happening until the summer, and I’d be gone by then, assuming I passed the goddamn senior portfolio. “You want some?” I nodded at the pizza, realizing that since I’d finished half of it in about thirty seconds, I should probably offer her some.
“It’s a gorgeous old building.” She was clearly trying to engage me in conversation about the doomed structure.
“It’s also poorly lit and falling apart, and the ventilation sucks,” I said, partly to be contrary but partly because it was the truth. “You’re lucky I’m not working in oils, or you’d be halfway to passing out.”
“So you don’t care that this Gothic Revival masterpiece, the second-oldest building on our campus, is going to be thrown away as if it was no more than a piece of garbage?”
I helped myself to another slice—damn, that was good pizza. “That is correct.”
“So you won’t help me?”
“Help you what?”
“Save the art building.”
“That would be a no.”
She stood then—finally—her glossy pink lips pursed. She was pissed. I tried not to laugh but wasn’t quite successful. I couldn’t help it. The juxtaposition between the righteous rage and the innocent, brightly hued girl who was its source was too funny.
But I didn’t have time for funny. I didn’t have time for anything. My eyes were on the prize: graduation and then a place in Boston, where I could start showing my stuff to gallery owners or find someone who would take me on as an artist’s assistant. Or, hell, get a job flipping goddamned burgers while I looked for something better. But to do that, I needed to finish school. And to do that, I needed to maintain my focus. “Well, it’s been great chatting with you, Rainbow Brite, but I need to—”
“Everyone says you’re an artistic genius.”
It was true. But that was because everyone was blind. I would admit I had some talent, and when I arrived at Allenhurst, I might have embraced the “genius” moniker. I’d been eighteen and full of confidence. The next four years had been about having that confidence undermined as I learned about everything I didn’t know. Being self-taught before I got here meant I had zero technique and knew shit-all about the great artists of the past. Look at the painting that was currently kicking my ass, for example. I was being defeated by a goddamned phone cord. But Jenny didn’t need to know about my self-doubts. It was easier to play the part. Hopefully doing so would help me get rid of her. “Genius is such a strong word,” I drawled. “But I guess all my fans can’t be wrong.”

* * * * *

Final Thoughts: 

Set in the 80's and probably one of my favorite eras of music, this the perfect sweet pick-me-up that will make you want to blast some 80's and dance around in your neon leg warmers.


xoxo, K

* * * *

Follow the tour and enter to #win a $20.00 Amazon GC and 1980’s themed adult coloring book!
Make sure to watch for books two and three coming this fall! Entries from all tours will be eligible for an additional grand prize!


a Rafflecopter giveaway
* * * *

About the Author




Jenny Holiday started writing at age nine when her awesome fourth grade teacher gave her a notebook and told her to start writing some stories. That first batch featured mass murderers on the loose, alien invasions, and hauntings. (Looking back, she’s amazed no one sent her to a kid-shrink.) She’s been writing ever since. After a brief detour to get a PhD in geography, she worked as a professional writer, producing everything from speeches to magazine articles. More recently, her tastes having evolved from alien invasions to happily-ever-afters, she tried her hand at romance. A lifelong city-lover, she lives in Toronto, Canada, with her family. She is represented by Courtney Miller-Callihan of Greenburger Associates.


You can visit her online at the following places: Website Facebook | Twitter Goodreads | Amazon




_________

Follow the blitz and enter to win!
OMGReads - Review
WTF Are You Reading? - Review
Spines in a Line - Review
Splashes Into Books - Review
A Page to Turn Reviews - Review
books and photographs - Review
Fiona Reads and FoodSpots – Spotlight/Excerpt
Ellesea Loves Reading - Review
PBC – Spotlight/Excerpt
Evermore Books – Spotlight/Excerpt
Reese's Reviews - Review
More Books Than Livros - Review
Miss Riki - Review
Bookworm Dee Reads – Spotlight/Excerpt
Tangle Hearts Book Reviews – Spotlight/Excerpt
KeyReadThat - (Hey, that's me!)
Lipstick 'N Lashes Chronicles - Review
EskieMama Reads – Spotlight/Excerpt
underneath the covers – Spotlight/Excerpt
Books,Dreams,Life – Spotlight/Excerpt
RhiReading - Review
Never Too Many To Read - Review
What Is That Book About – Spotlight/Excerpt
Just Books – Spotlight/Excerpt
Becky's Book Bytes – Spotlight/Excerpt
Those Crazy Book Chicks – Spotlight/Excerpt
The Silver Dagger Scriptorium – Spotlgiht/Excerpt


 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS